Friday, September 23, 2011

The Fragrance of the Honeysuckle

As I was out running through my neighborhood yesterday morning I was met by the fragrance of the Honeysuckle. Beautiful, sweet, and pleasant. As I was running along, every so often I would notice it again. When I would turn and look, sure enough I could see the little white flowers peeking out from behind a weed patch along the side of the road or sometimes planted in someone's flower patch in their front yard. It was often barely noticeable except for the beautiful fragrance. I recognized the smell right away. As a matter of fact, I actually was waiting, anticipating its arrival. The fragrance is so distinct it brings me back, reminding me of a time about a year ago.
Last spring I was preparing for the Marine Corp Half Marathon. It was the week before the race so I was planning to do a relaxing 6 mile run in the battlefield. We are blessed to live only a mile from the Spotsylvania Courthouse Civil War Battlefield.  In my quiet time that morning I had been reading about the fragrance of Christ. Paul tells us in 2 Cor. 15, "Christ, through us, spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. To God, we are the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." As I began down the road at the entrance of the battlefield, I was suddenly keenly aware of the fragrance around me. It was so strong I had to stop and figure out what it was. It was inviting and beautiful. I wanted more.
With the contrast of the highway behind me and cars whizzing past, the path in front of me looked so peaceful. The road into the battlefield is quiet and serene. A beautiful place to run. Often a place that has become my sanctuary as I commune with God while I run; surrounded by nature and flooded by this fresh scent of the honeysuckle. It was as if God was inviting me into the sanctuary that day. Running down the battlefield road I smelled it again and again. I felt that God was speaking to me about the fragrance of His presence. It was such a powerful experience of His love for me, I will always associate the fragrance of the honeysuckle with the memory of that day. It will always be a reminder to me of the fragrance of His presence.
As I run down the road, even at times when I can't see that Jesus is with me, when I smell the honeysuckle, it will remind me that He is right there with me- just as He promised- all the time.
The fragrance of the honeysuckle-the fragrance of Christ- The aroma of God.
I prayed to God that He would be so close to me I could smell Him! As He came close, He reminded me that I will begin to smell like Him- and that He wants me to be the aroma of God to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment