Thursday, September 22, 2011

Feel Your Pleasure

About a year ago I took an interest in a new hobby. I bought myself a road bike and started cycling with a couple of friends. One of them had done a lot of riding with the local cycling club and at one time had even completed a Century Ride, a 100 mile event that I would compare to a runner completing a marathon. This was a whole new world for me. I was the Rookie and had a lot to learn. I loved every minute of it.  We would  load up the bikes and head down to Caroline County on Saturday mornings to ride out in the country where the roads are much safer. Once we had our helmets strapped, our shoes buckled, gloves on and our water and snacks ready we would gather up in a prayer circle before taking off. Each of us straddling our bike with the front tires touching, nose to nose, holding hands much like we did for a long Saturday run during marathon training.
When Shari prayed she would always ask the Lord that we might feel His pleasure as we ride. That was such a beautiful thing to ask of God. That we might feel His pleasure. What a beautiful prayer. Each week Shari would ask again for His pleasure. When I asked her how those words had become a part of her prayer life she asked if I remember the movie Chariots of Fire. Oh yes, from back in the 80's! A good movie that brings back lots of wonderful memories. (Fritz and I saw that movie together with a group of college friends long before we ever started dating!) When Eric Liddell was asked why he felt so strongly that he would not run on Sundays, in his explanation he said, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." Shari was touched by those words and began praying that she too, would feel His pleasure. How beautiful. God does allow us to feel His pleasure when we ride. It is exhilarating, refreshing, cleansing, challenging, and peaceful. Much like our life.
I remember Mike Yacconelli speaking at Youth Specialties saying that if he died today he would say of his life, "What a ride! What a ride!" Three days later this well known, highly respected, much loved author and teacher in the christian community was killed in a car accident on the way home from the convention where we had just heard hi speak. Mike Yacconelli was the founder and president of Youth Specialties, the National Youth Workers Convention. His statement about his earthly life, "What a ride!" would become his legacy. He felt God's pleasure in his life.
Last week when we returned to our cars after a couple hours of riding I smiled and said to Shari, "I feel His  pleasure.!" Since then I have thought about those words several times and find myself praying that I might feel God's pleasure at other times as well. As I was driving to school the other day saying my morning prayers, I asked God that I might feel His pleasure as I teach the children. As I seek to give Him honor and glory by showing love to those I encounter, that I might feel His pleasure. It was as if God spoke the words to me- not that I was speaking to Him. I felt that He was telling me, "Feel My pleasure!". God began to open my eyes of understanding to receive this new word from Him. He wants us to feel His pleasure in all that we do. To feel His pleasure when I spend time in His Word, when I spend time with my kids, my friends, my family. When I write, when I run. His word says, "whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Col. 3:17, and then in verse 23, "whatever you do, do it heartily as unto the Lord."The more we feel His pleasure, the more intimately connected we feel to Him. We recognize His voice when He speaks, we hear, we see, and feel His presence, and we are drawn to Him. We experience Him. As we experience Him- we feel His pleasure.
In a time in life where I feel so much pain, it is comforting to feel His pleasure. In the years of Fritz's illness and the days and weeks leading up to and following Fritz's death, our family has faced the crucible of adversity. We have stared long and hard at hopelessness, despair and death. Painful trials have become a lifestyle. Pushing the pain away in order to cope with the trial of the day has been the daily challenge. At the same time, knowing we are on a journey- a peaceful journey in which God has not forgotten us is where we find our peace. I thank God that in the midst of this pain, He is showing me His pleasure. The prophet Isaiah spoke these words long before Jesus spoke them himself saying He will 'give the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness' Is. 61:3. 
Today Kelsey and I will go to Lynchburg to visit Kristin for the weekend. We will get pedicures, go out for dinner, and watch football. We will go to church together before saying our good-byes.
Lord, I pray we might feel your pleasure as we ride today.

1 comment:

  1. Praying you feel God's pleasure this weekend with your girls; praying that I feel His pleasure this weekend as I spend time with my parents.

    ReplyDelete